Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Accessories: Head to Toe": Beautiful Fashion from 1760-1830

Saturday, March 19, 2011
Susan reporting:

More from Accessories: Head to Toe, a symposium hosted by Colonial Williamsburg, March 12-16, 2011.

The final session of the symposium was the most entertaining, and hands-down the most sigh-worthy, too.  Janea Whitacre, mistress of the millinery & mantua-making trades, CW, narrated "Of All Things Millinerial": People, Product, and Public Perception. This light-hearted exploration of the millinery trade featured apprentices, volunteers, and other friends of the Margaret Hunter Shop at CW, all dressed in reproductions from 1760-1830 created by the shop's mantua-makes and tailors. Below is a small selection from the presentation, including the entire "cast" gathered on the staircase of the De Witt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum.  Beautiful clothes all around – and many thanks to all who contributed to such a memorable symposium!



10 comments:

Vic said...

Loved your posts about this symposium. These images are great.

Meg McNulty said...

This series of posts has been absolutely fascinating - being a UK resident, I'd never actually heard of Colonial Williamsburg before. Now I'm wanting a visit to a mantua maker! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your findings at the symposium - and for the great images.

LorettaChase said...

Brava, Susan! A wonderful series of posts. Thank you!

ZipZip said...

Thank you so much for this series of posts. So nice to vicariously enjoy the proceedings.

Do you know if CW plans to publish any papers, pamphlets or books as a result?

Many thanks,

Natalie

Anonymous said...

These photos are fabulous. What wonderful costumes. BTW, I wanted to let you know that I've added your blog to my blogroll at www.spunstories.wordpress.com.

I hope that is OK.

Best, Cynthia Haggard

Time Traveling in Costume said...

I was there at the Symposium also, and took the wonderful workshop for the 18th c muff put on by Janea Whitacre, the Mistress of the Millinery. I haven't had time to write up anything about it on my costume blog yet, or download the photos, but will soon. In the meantime I'm enjoying yours.
I'm still smiling at Mark Hutter saying to his tiny daughter, "Thou are most pleased with yourself, are you not?"
Val

Cassie said...

I'm absolutely salivating. This post is my new "happy place." I could look at these pictures forever!

Isabella Bradford/Susan Holloway Scott said...

Thanks for all the kind words! It was a wonderful conference, and if I could have brought you all along with me, I would have (though CW would likely have needed a larger auditorium!)

Clarifying, thank you for adding us to your blog roll. We're honored. :)

Time Travelling, if you were in the muff workshop, then I (probably) met you. There certainly was some gorgeous creating going on in there - I really coveted all that brown (shedding) fur. Please let me know if and where you post your pix. I'd love to see them. :)

Time Traveling in Costume said...

If you were in the group shot we took at the end of the muff class, you'll be in my photo. I was wearing the turquoise quilted silk vest.
I'm close to finishing my muff and had bunches of flowers & pearls sewn on it.
I have my blog ready to post as soon as my muff is done, and will be writing and posting more on the conference too. I took over 400 photos.
Val

Time Traveling in Costume said...

My blog is done on the muff workshop, and includes our group photo.
http://timetravelingincostume.blogspot.com/2011/03/18th-c-muff-making-workshop.html

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket